Tuesday, March 2, 2010

TED

The one thing that really stuck out to me in Sagmeister's speech was his list of little moments that made him happy. I almost paused the video to read all of them. Some of them were just so ordinary it was surprising they made the list, such as "hugging blah blah at the door". When he said that more than half had something to do with design, I was surprised. It made me wonder if half of my happy moments have to do with design. One, they shouldn't be because I have only been alive for 20 years and I have only been doing design for 3 years? That's be sad if my happiness came from 3 years. Second, I don't want to count how much design has made me happy. School is tough and kicks butt, so there is some time to enjoy the design, but mostly I want to make shit look good.

I watched a video on the Pentatonic Scale. It's a universal scale of music that ties directly into our spoken language and brain. Anyone in the world would know this scale and be able to perform it. The speaker demonstrated it by hopping around on stage using different points as different notes. The audience then sang a song following his jumping around.

The second video I watched was by Elizabeth Gilbert on nurturing genius. I don't know that I agree with her that creativity is from an external, almost ghost-like, source, but I know that we are interdependent of all things in the world. Without anything we couldn't create. We would have no memories, backgrounds, images, sources.

Sadly for Sagmeister's article, the pictures just would not load!!! I have no references to see what he thought was good and bad. I did read all that he wrote and I was interested in the part about what roles critics have in the world of design. The brick idea for food seemed intelligent and logical until he actually researched by bulk food and local resources made more sense than small packages and wasteful packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment