Monday, September 21, 2009

House Industries

Funhouse specimen

Scubyzhouse specimen

Large Amp Pillow

I decided to write this one about House Industries because I just watched the season premiere of House, and it was GOOOD!!! House Industries was established by Andy Cruz and Rich Roat in 1993. Allen Mercer joined the twosome and the direction of the company moved forward to a product based company instead of focusing on service. Their first release of typefaces came in a batch of ten that was separated by categories. They were put on floppy disks and became the predecessor for how they would bundle the fonts later on. They became famous for these packaging designs. Every package was specific to a time period and style.

House Industries have a very diverse library of typefaces such as: Neutraface, Chalet, and OpenType font families including Studio Lettering and Ed Benguiat Fonts. I really like the Scubyzhouse. I am a big fan of Scooby Doo, so I could see the resemblance to the green lettering used on the old cartoons.

As I browse the website for their fonts, I realize I have seen one somewhere! Build-A-Bear uses the House Industries’ font “Fun House”. It is neat to see something in the real world that actually corresponds to something I am studying in class. Sadly, that is usually not the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment